5 Tips for Retailers to Post Engaging Content on Social Media Networks

With EdgeRank regulating everyone’s Facebook Newsfeed and more than 3,000 Tweets per second, it can feel like we’re talking to ourselves online instead of our customers or potential customers. Below I listed five easy ways to increase your engagement (Likes, Shares, Comments, RT’s). By increasing engagement you’ll strengthen your relationships, increase your exposure and for Facebook you’ll increase your ‘Talking About’ score. *TIP – Do this now* Divide your current number of talking about by your total number of Fans/Likes. The average ‘Talking About’ scores is 2% so if you have anything above 2% you’re doing a good job of engaging with your network. There are ways to get in front of the other 98% which I’ll highlight in upcoming blog posts and within the retail membership site, which will be live Nov 1st J For now, here are those five tips-

1.  Action, Action, We Want Action!  Buddy Media also found that action keywords like “post”, “comment”, “like”, “submit”, “take” and “tell us” are the most effective. Asking for what you want the user to do within a post will increase engagement. Ex: “Like” this post if you’re taking your little one(s) Trick-or-Treating tonight!” or “New candle scents in this week. Tell us, what is your favorite scent to burn in your home?”  

2. Pictures.  If you watched my video from earlier this month about posting photos on Facebook, then you learned why this is important. If you didn’t get a chance to see it, the take-away here is according to EdgeRank, Facebook’s algorithm that decides who sees what in their newsfeed, gives Photos the heaviest weight, meaning they’ll be in more people’s Newsfeed (that have Liked you) and will stay up longer. According to Facebook, posts that include a picture generate about 120% more engagement.

I suggest having 85-90% of your posts includes a photo. You can attached a photo to any post whether you’re showcasing products, staff, asking a question, giving a tip, posting a quote, etc. If there’s something you want to reference from a blog post or another website, you can use Snagit to take a screen shot.

3. Ask questions. The title of the post says, “tips to posting engaging content”. To be engaging you need to post something of value and involve your audience. One of the easiest ways to engage with your network is by asking a question. For retailers, you can ask questions about the community, local events, if they’ve network has been to your store before, what’s on their Christmas Wish List, do they stay in town for the holidays, etc.

To increase the number of people who answer your posts, make it easy. Fill in the blanks and Yes or No type questions are quick and easy for Fans to respond to. Try posting this question on your page and see what the response is “Yes or No: You’ve been to our store before”. Measure the interactions (comments and likes) you get from this question to one you might have asked in the past that was more of an open-ended question. Which question got the highest engagement?

 4. Consider your audience. When you’re posting to Twitter, Facebook, writing a blog post; you need to make sure you consider who you want to be reading your posts and who will be reading your posts. If your customers are women, then you might call them out in the beginning of a post by saying, “Ladies, new accessories in today! Earrings, bracelets and scarves, oh my!” If you own a children’s boutique and your audience is moms, you might post articles and tips about child nutrition, local kid events, toy recalls, etc. Posting engaging content means it adds value to who is reading it, so consider who is reading before posting and tailor your message to them.

5. KISS (keep it short and simple) The Internet moves fast. As web surfers, we are in front of tons of information every second. Most people are not willing to spend time on long posts, especially on social media sites. With Twitter only allowing 140 characters at a time, we’re used to short and simple posts. Facebook now allows up to 50,000 characters in one post (which I think is way too much) but I strongly suggest you keep it to 80-120 characters. Posts with 80 characters or fewer in length have 27% higher engagement rates, according to Buddy Media.